none
Win 2008 r2 Remote Desktop Services- trying to print on redirected printer. Nothing happens and job is deleted from spooler immediately

Question

• Aloha all,

I have a Windows Server 2008 R2 Remote Desktop Services server. I am connecting to it from a Windows 7 machine via RDP. We have RDP licenses - per user. I can run my programs just fine - no issues. When I try to print to a redirected printer (via Remote Desktop Easy Print) - event the "Print a Test Page" option in Printer Properties - I see that the file goes to the spooler then immediately gets the status "Deleting". I get no errors in the event viewer. I can't seem to figure out why that is happening. Oh, yeah - GP to "Use Remote Desktop Easy Print printer driver first" is set to "Enable".

I do have some pretty restrictive GPs but I checked to see if any of them would cause this problem and I can't see that there is any.

Mahalo for your help.

Friday, January 28, 2011 2:04 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Please refer to the following items:

1. Ensured Client Printer redirection from group policies

2. Users is able to print locally directly to printer.

3. Enabled LPT Port Redirection

4. Granted Everyone Full Control to C:\Windows\System32\Spool folder.

5. Ensured RDP is version 6.1 or 7.0.

6. Installed .NET FrameWork 3.5 SP1 on Client and TS Server.

Enabled the following policy:

Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Terminal

Services\Terminal Server\Printer Redirection\Use Terminal Services Easy Print

printer driver first

Disabled the following policy:

Services\Terminal Server\Printer Redirection\Redirect only the default client

printer

Then did gpupdate /force in server and client. Whether the issue still exists?

In my poor experience, a similar problem occurs as a restrictive group policy. Please refer to the following description:

Symptom

Windows Server 2008 R2 Remote Desktop Server - After joining Remote Desktop server to Domain, Easy print fails to send print job back to client

Cause

Security permissions was changed on The Application Event Log where Easy Print could not write to the log

Resolution

Printfilterpipelinesvc.exe fails because local service does not have permissions to the Application Event log.

Captured the call via a Live debug:

RegisterEventSource(NULL, L"Microsoft-Windows-SpoolerFilterPipelineSVC");

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Eventlog\Application\customSD

O:BAG:SYD:(D;;0xf0007;;;AN)(D;;0xf0007;;;BG)(A;;0xf0007;;;SY)(A;;0x7;;;BA)(A;;0x5;;;SO)(A;;0x1;;;IU)(A;;0x1;;;SU)(A;;0x1;;;S-1-5-3)(A;;0x1;;;DU)

The Application Event Log was locked down causing the issue. You can deleting the customSD key, this may solve the problem.

Technology changes life……
    Friday, January 28, 2011 12:48 PM

All replies

• Oh, yes - more info:

We are on a domain. The domain controllers are Win 2003. The win 2008 machine is NOT a DC. The printers are all networked printers on the LAN. NO printers are hooked to the RDP clients. The RDP clients have the printers installed via TCP/IP ports. Could this be an issue? Can I install the printer drivers on the RDP Server and just print to them directly from the server (as TCP/IP ported printers?).

They are Canon copier/printers and HP Laser Printers.

Friday, January 28, 2011 2:14 AM
  • Hi,

Please refer to the following items:

1. Ensured Client Printer redirection from group policies

2. Users is able to print locally directly to printer.

3. Enabled LPT Port Redirection

5. Ensured RDP is version 6.1 or 7.0.

6. Installed .NET FrameWork 3.5 SP1 on Client and TS Server.

Enabled the following policy:

Services\Terminal Server\Printer Redirection\Use Terminal Services Easy Print

printer driver first

Disabled the following policy:

Services\Terminal Server\Printer Redirection\Redirect only the default client

printer

Then did gpupdate /force in server and client. Whether the issue still exists?

In my poor experience, a similar problem occurs as a restrictive group policy. Please refer to the following description:

Symptom

Windows Server 2008 R2 Remote Desktop Server - After joining Remote Desktop server to Domain, Easy print fails to send print job back to client

Cause

Security permissions was changed on The Application Event Log where Easy Print could not write to the log

Resolution

Printfilterpipelinesvc.exe fails because local service does not have permissions to the Application Event log.

Captured the call via a Live debug:

RegisterEventSource(NULL, L"Microsoft-Windows-SpoolerFilterPipelineSVC");

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Eventlog\Application\customSD

O:BAG:SYD:(D;;0xf0007;;;AN)(D;;0xf0007;;;BG)(A;;0xf0007;;;SY)(A;;0x7;;;BA)(A;;0x5;;;SO)(A;;0x1;;;IU)(A;;0x1;;;SU)(A;;0x1;;;S-1-5-3)(A;;0x1;;;DU)

The Application Event Log was locked down causing the issue. You can deleting the customSD key, this may solve the problem.

Friday, January 28, 2011 12:48 PM
  • Aloha,

The full access to the spool folder (#4 on the list) was the fix.

Mahalo,

MauiSpud

This problem is solved.

Sunday, February 27, 2011 9:46 PM
  • Thank you for your feedback!

Thursday, March 03, 2011 6:53 AM
  • It helped me a lot. Thanks
    Wednesday, September 07, 2011 1:15 AM
  • Boss had this ticket open for a week, Send it to me. I found this post first hit, Tried #4 right off the back as everyone had success with it. Worked beautifuly. Thank you all! I look like a super star!

-Pete

Wednesday, November 09, 2011 5:27 PM
  • YES , this solved my problem also! (adding everyone to the spool folder) Thank You!
    Mike Lewis
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 10:19 PM
  • Same here.
    Granting "Full Access" to "Everyone" made the trick.

Monday, May 21, 2012 1:21 PM
  • I have been fighting on this problem for months. Granting the Full Permission solved my problem.

Thank you so much

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 2:30 AM
  • Yuan Wang!  You the MAN!!! - #4 on your suggestions list about "Everyone" "Full Permission" fixed it. Thank You!

-EggplantDog

• Proposed as answer by Eggplantdog Wednesday, December 05, 2012 8:20 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Eggplantdog Wednesday, December 05, 2012 8:20 PM
    Wednesday, December 05, 2012 8:19 PM
  • Thank you man!! Your information helps me fix the problem.

Wednesday, March 06, 2013 2:29 AM
  • Hi guys,

It's my pleasure! :)

Wednesday, March 06, 2013 5:55 AM
  • Did solution #4 work with a HP Laserjet m1217 for anyone?

We have a terminal server with Windows server 2008 R2. The users with a HP Laserjet m1217 cannot print via the terminal. All other printers work just fine...

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 2:38 PM
  • This solution (specifically the part about setting full control for the everyone group on the spooler folder) also fixes the issue on Windows 2012 RDS. Earlier I tried disabling EasyPrint, but that didn't work. I had to re-enable EasyPrint AND set the permissions on spooler directory. Now it's printing to redirected printers, and I never need to mess with drivers. Awesome. Thanks!
    Saturday, August 17, 2013 1:48 AM
  • Thank you so much. same problem here, # 4, full access to SPOOL folder did the trick.

thank you so much!!

arun

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 12:16 AM
  • I was so excited to find this solution because we've had this problem for a while but # 4 didn't work for my user.  But there are folders under the spool folder that did not inherit the security (drivers, pritners, prtprocs, servers, and tools).  Does everyone need full control of those folders too?
    Wednesday, August 12, 2015 7:55 PM